From the Roaster's Corner:
New Origin of the Month: Fincas Don Peppe Panama
Panama continues to produce some of the most sought after coffees in the world. It's coffee has superb complexity and character and is highly aromatic. This origin comes from Boquete, an area of humid forests on the slopes of the majestic Baru Volcano.
This area delivers the highest quality crop in the country and is also one of the most highly priced coffees in the world. For more than 100 years and standing at altitudes close to 1900 meters above sea level, this virgin and fertile soil has produced superior quality coffee for generations. This is the home of Don Pepe Estate Coffee and five generations of passionate coffee farmers, who are continuing the founder's legacy throughout the generations.
To achieve and preserve the quality of the beans, Don Pepe Estate Coffee only produces “pure lots”, farming each variety separately to achieve only the top quality coffee cup. Only red cherries at optimal ripeness are picked, which ensure that coffee beans are traceable throughout the entire process until final export.
There's more to what makes this coffee so unique:
- The beans benefit from an all year long microclimate with temperatures averaging 21ºC and rainfall of 2950mm that combined with volcanic soils yield extraordinary aroma and flavor
- They use a variety of environmentally friendly processes utilising the latest developments in low water throughput equipment
- Raised drying beds provide optimal drying points that allow storage based on on variety and harvest date
- Meticulous classifying process to optimise the quality per variety. The process follows strict procedures that will only result in the finest coffee cup profiles
As a result, you will find in the cup notes and flavors of raspberry, apricot, peach, walnuts, green apple, infused with silky creamy bodies and very aromatic citrus scents.
Please note that this origin is extremely sought after, and our weekly roasted batch is likely to be sold out early. Get in quick to give the Don Peppe espresso or filter roast, a go!
- Region: Boquete, Chiriqui
- Varietal: Typica / Caturra
- Altitude: 1500 - 2000 masl
- Process: washed
- Tasting Notes: flavors of raspberry, apricot, peach, walnuts, green apple, infused with silky creamy bodies and very aromatic citrus scents
Roasted both for espresso and filter
If you would like your beans to be ground, please state for what coffee maker you require the coffee, and if it is an espresso machine, state the make and model in the comments section at checkout.