Making a perfect cup of coffee means using quality tools to help reduce variables to ensure you are consistent each time. Grind distribution is one of the many variables that can impact on quality and consistency of each shot. That is, until the invention of the OCD (ONA CoffeeDistributor), and now with the release of version 2, the depth is easily adjustable to accommodate the desired dose and basket depth.
A textured, non-slip design around the sides provides grip and durability while the brass body helps eliminate static electricity, allowing for more even extraction.
Making delicious coffee is all about understanding variables and taking control of them, distribution creates major variables standing in the road of quality and consistency.
- The OCD has 4 angled slopes that consistently, efficiently and evenly glides the coffee around in a circle to create a puck of even density.
- The OCD creates a perfectly flat surface to tamp upon creating more consistent puck density. No human has a perfectly straight finger, some people leave a slight mound, some people leave a slight divot in the coffee which means once tamped, there will be inconsistencies in the puck density.
- The OCD can be adjusted to suit a range of doses depending on specific roasting styles. This tool can even suit those using very low doses or larger baskets.
- No more dirty, cracked coffee fingers after a day of service on the espresso machine.
- No need to collapse the dose. After extensive taste testing with multiple coffees and different roasting styles, we have found any form of collapsing to stratify grinds creating very inconsistent extraction and qualities of taste (separate to yield). The OCD takes the same time to create a more even and consistent puck giving more consistent and delicious extractions.
- Less channelling and micro-channeling. Improper or rushed distribution is more likely to channel which is disastrous to taste. Micro-channelling is also difficult to visually identify and is more likely to happen with inconsistent or no distribution, the OCD will remove this variable.